We took a morning trip to Burger Farm here in Cincinnati in mid-October and on our way out we saw these adorable little gourds in the shop. We bought 4 and I had planned to make a little matching activity over nap time by taking simple pictures and printing them on cards but…somehow only 3 gourds made it home with us (my daughter was carrying the bag and did drop it a few times, whoops!). Three gourds just didn’t flow right for a matching game. Luckily, my daughter made up something else to do with them one afternoon while refusing her nap. She brought one to me and asked me to “open it”, and from there we ended up opening all 3 of the gourds, seeding them, washing the seeds and then roasting them (and of course adding some delicious sea salt).
What You’ll Need:
- 2 or more mini gourds. They are the perfect size for little hands.
- A sharp knife
- 2 bowls (one for the raw seeds, and one for tossing the seeds in olive oil)
- A small strainer
- A pan
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- An Oven
- Adult/Guide Only* Cut the tops off the mini gourds using the sharp knife and then slice in half.
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Demonstrate removing the seeds from the mini gourd and setting into the bowl.
- Demonstrate washing the raw seeds in the small strainer, removing the strings and debris.
- Demonstrate tossing the seeds in olive oil and then dumping them on to the oven safe pan.
- Demonstrate how to salt the raw seeds on the pan.
- Adult/Guide Only* Place the seeds in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. Make sure to turn the oven light on so little ones can watch!
- Adult/Guide Only* remove roasted seeds from oven and set out to cool.
- Child can add additional salt as desired to taste.